Who does not love a chocolate cake? Well... sadly I know two: my two best friends! I write it and I laugh, I think it is sooo random, but yeap, there are a few who do not like chocolate cake.
On Tuesday's it was my boyfriend's birthday. I had followed his request for a chocolate cake, very clearly he specified that chocolate cheesecake would not count. I had no more remedy to go on full mode for a chocolate cake; and had to make it double. He wanted one for the birthday party and another one to share with his colleagues.
I can't even explained how creamy and chocolate the frosting is. The cake is moist, so moist that when you cut it, you will loose a few crumbs. Too sad! As we shared the cake on Tuesday night with his friends, there were a few who would grab the crumbs as there second portion of cake!
Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting
Makes: Three-layer 6" Cake Prep time: Cook time:
- 235 gr All-purpose flour
- 70 gr Cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 120 ml Grapeseed oil
- 300 gr Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 180 gr Leche
- 240 gr Hot chocolate
- 450 gr Dark chocolate
- 230 gr Butter
- 500 gr Confectioners' sugar
- 25 gr Cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 180 gr Sour cream
- CAKE: Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour three 6-inch cake pans and set aside. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the oil and sugar on medium speed. With the mixer on, add the eggs, vanilla. Stop the mixer and scrape down the bowl.
- Turn the mixer to low and add the flour mixture in three batches, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Stop and scrape down the bowl. With the mixer on low, pour in the hot chocolate. Mix on medium until combined.
- Evenly divide the batter among the prepared pans. Bake for 25 to 28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- FROSTING: Melt the chocolate, and set aside. Meanwhile, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium until smooth and creamy. With the mixer on low, add the confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and vanilla until incorporated. Turn the mixer to medium-high and mix until the frosting is light and fluffy. Stop the mixer and scrape down the bowl. Once the chocolate has cooled, stir the sour cream into it. With the mixer on low, add the chocolate mixture to the frosting. Turn the mixer up to medium and mix until it is combined and creamy.