Everyday ingredients make this extraordinary flan. All of the ingredients are staples in the pantry/ refrigerator from every home! With the right technique, the results are amazing! The caramel adds the perfect contrast in flavor.
Makes: 1 Flan or 6 Ramekins
Prep Time: Active 10 Mins
Cook Time: 40 Mins
- 378 ml Heavy whipping cream
- 220 ml Whole milk
- 305 g Sugar, divided in two: 200 g and 105 g.
- ½ Vanilla bean, split lengthwise or 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 3 Eggs
- 2 Egg yolks
- Preheat the oven to 350F/ 180C. Position rack in center of oven. Make sure if using a round mold that it will fit on a baking pan and that you will be able to pour water at least half way of it.
- If using a vanilla bean combine cream and milk in heavy medium saucepan. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean and add the bean. Bring to simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat and let steep 30 minutes.
- In the meantime pour the 200 gr of sugar, not all together into a pan. Start melting the sugar, as it gets clear add the sugar in maybe 3-4 times. You should get a deep amber color. Immediately pour caramel into the ramekins or desire mold.
- Whisk eggs, egg yolks, and remaining 105 grams of sugar in medium bowl just until blended. Gradually and gently whisk cream mixture into egg mixture without creating lots of foam. Add the vanilla extract. Pour the mix into a fine sieve to remove bubbles or any egg left over. Add enough hot water to baking pan to come halfway up sides of ramekins or mold.
- Bake flan until center is set, about 30-40 minutes. Transfer flans to rack and cool. Once it cools down, cover and chill for 6-8 hours at least.
**TIP: Make-Ahead – The flan can be made 5 days in advance. To remove flan from mold or ramekin, run a sharp knife (preferable not a serrated one) around the mold, without stopping. Place plate atop mold and flip it over. Let the caramel pour around the flan. If there is a caramel stack to the bottom of the mold place it under hot water.