Lemon Pie is a tradition at my dessert table for the holidays. It gives guests the option of neither chocolate nor fruits, nor dulce de leche. It is the perfect combination of sweet and acidic. Top it with meringue or whipped cream. Vanilla ice cream works great too.
The recipe for the pie dough you can find it here.
The recipe for the merengue you can find it here.
Makes: 1 Pie
Prep Time: Active 60 Mins
Cook Time: 45 Mins
- 60 g Cornstarch
- 200 g Sugar
- 10 g Salt
- 90 g Egg yolk (5 yolks)
- 200 g Lemon Juice (3 lemons)
- 2 Lemon zest
- 500 g Milk
- 50 g Butter
- Sift the cornstarch, add half of the sugar and mix. Keep mixing while you add the egg yolks, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- On a medium pot, combine the milk with the remaining sugar. Bring to first boil and pour half to the egg yolk mix, stirring constantly with the whisk. Return the mixture to the remaining hot milk in the saucepan. Continue cooking, stirring vigorously with the whisk, until the pastry cream comes to a boil and the whisk leaves a trail in it. Remove from the fire and add the butter while you keep stirring until the butter is well integrated.
- Pour the lemon cream into a fine mesh to remove the zest and obtain a smooth cream into a shallow bowl, cover it with film paper touching the lemon cream and let it cool down until it reached room temperature. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Once you are ready to pour the lemon cream on the tart, whisk the cream until it is smooth.
**TIP: Make-Ahead – The lemon cream can be made up to a week in advance and stored in the refrigerator.