When it comes to baking, there are three types of meringue and each of them with a different purpose.
The Italian Meringue is the shiniest of all. I would use this meringue to decorate rustic cakes, where you transfer the meringue with a spoon or spatula and create the peaks with it.
The Swiss Merengue has a bit more of consistency. It is great to pipe into cakes to create decorations. It holds its shape very easily and all of the different peaks work great,
The French Meringue its the only merengue that egg whites are not cooked before creating the meringue. By this, I mean that it is a merengue that it is used for baking: like a pavlova or macarons.
- Italian Meringue:
- 110 g Egg whites (3 eggs)
- 220 g Sugar
- 80 ml Water
- Swiss Meringue:
- 150 g Egg whites (5 eggs)
- 250 g Sugar
- French Meringue:
- 100 g Egg whites (3 eggs
- 100 g Powdered sugar
- 100 g Sugar
- Italian Merengue: In a small pot combine the water and the sugar. Boil to 120C/ 240F. In the meantime place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. When the water starts to create bubbles, begin to whip the egg whites on slow speed. Once the sugar syrup reaches 115C/ 240F increase the speed of the mixer to medium high. When the sugar syrup reaches 120C/ 250F pour it over the egg whites and incresa the speed to high. Continue mixing until the merengue becomes shiny and there are stif peaks.
- Swiss Merengue: Create a double boiler. On a medium bowl place the sugar and egg whites. Whisk until well included. On a small pot place an inch of water and bring to boil. Whisk continuously so the egg whites do not cook. You should mix until the mixture reaches 70C. You could also identify the timing when you touch the mixture and do not feel the sugar. Pour the mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Whip in medium high until you have sift peaks and its shiny.
- French Merengue: Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whip. Begin to whisk on medium speed. When the egg whites begin to get foamy pour the sugar on a continuous line. When all done, add the powdered sugar using the folding method. Cook with the oven to 100C/ 210F until merengue is dry. Store on an air tight container.